cssa: the petticoat

I fully intended to finally put the ideas of making your own petticoat that had been floating through my head into an actual tutorial for the sew-along. But the general busyness that seems to have taken over my life the past two months pretty much pushed a lot of my sewing to the wayside. So for now, my sincere apologies that this tutorial never reached fruition (though eventually I’d like it to—I’ve filed away all my notes for later!), and I decided to round up a number of links from around the web on making your own net petticoat.

Petticoats are one of the quintessential components of 1950s dressing; and if you want to add a bit of authentic “pouf” to your circle skirt, are a much. (You don’t have to wear a petticoat with a circle skirt though—I wear mine without all the time to no ill effect!) You can generally find them online (Ebay is a great place as well as the many vintage reproduction stores online) and in costume shops. But if you have a specific hue, length or size in mind, then making your own is probably the way to go. Let me just say here as someone who attempted to make a petticoat years and years ago: you can not be afraid of dealing with miles of netting. These garments use a lot.

This tutorial at Sugardale is probably my favorite out of the bunch, and approaches petticoat-making in a similar way I would.

BurdaStyle has a pattern you can download for a net petticoat. I haven’t downloaded and looked at it, but it looks nice from the picture and several members have made it.

Someone sent me this link ages ago, but it has a few loose details from the 50s on making a petticoat and how to achieve a very full, fluffy effect.

If you have access to it, the June/July issue of Vogue Sewing Magazine had a how-to on creating a net crinoline petticoat. I bought the issue and was impressed with the article (though like Gertie, I thought the resulting petticoat was a bit short for most of my 50s dresses and skirts—but easily adjustable!).

Speaking of the amazing Ms. Gertie, she also has a pretty fantastic petticoat tutorial here, using organza or organdy instead of net. (Also less scratchy!)

For a less poufy look, check out this how-to on BurdaStyle for making a petticoat from a sheet.

I think these links cover the various methods of petticoat-making out there! Best of luck for those of you tackling the project (wish I could… but again it’s the specter that is looming of late called Time. lol.)

Don’t forget that the Circle Skirt Party is this coming Monday! I’ve already received a handful of entries (and will be emailing you back to confirm shortly). Don’t forget to send yours if you haven’t already! I’m also extending the deadline to 12pm Saturday afternoon as well, so that gives you a bit more time!

October 6, 2011 · 13 lovely thoughts
posted in sewing · tags: ,

Annabelle October 6, 2011 at 16:32

Don’t worry about not having the time to put up this post – you are always so generous with your time and the things you share on this blog. Plus, this gives us something to look forward to in the future when you will have the time. Thank you for extending the deadline – it has been a terribly busy week at work for me and I haven’t had the time to finish hemming my skirt, let alone take pictures. It will be no problem for me to get it finished by Saturday mornign though. Thanks again for hosting this sew-along, I learned a lot (even with a simple project like this) that I can transfer to my other sewing projects.

Littlefoot October 6, 2011 at 16:33

Yay! Thank you so much for extending the deadline! I’m almost done attaching my waistband, so now I’ll have time to let it hang before doing the hem… In the mean time I can crack on with the petticoat!

BTW, love the new do! :)

Stephanie October 6, 2011 at 16:54

Just took pictures of mine today! Will be emailing you tonight or tomorrow morning!

Laurie October 6, 2011 at 17:29

Thank you! That first link is exactly what I’ve been looking for! I’ve seen most of the others but they didn’t give enough information. I tried a petticoat a couple of years ago but I obviously didn’t use enough yardage. I had no idea where to begin in having enough and had to move on to other projects! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Laurie

Floors Of Gold October 6, 2011 at 18:15

I *heart* petticoats!

PepperToast October 6, 2011 at 18:51

I didn’t know how much I needed a petticoat until I started sewing full skirts! I too made one out of a cotton sheet and used my ruffler attachment and serger. It was so easy; there were very little calculations. I did a bit of a tutorial too.

Casey October 7, 2011 at 08:33

Thanks for linking to your post! :D I’m off to look at it!!! :)

♥ Casey

Vicki Kate October 7, 2011 at 04:22

I am so glad you’ve extended the deadline as my connection is down at home and I’ll need to use my parent’s tomorrow to upload the photos! I may even be able to get some done in daylight :) Thankyou for all the links, but I feel that this may be a project for another time… I love my skirt though and can see more in my future – seersucker for summer?

NoirGirl October 7, 2011 at 18:08

Very glad you extended the deadline for the party – I haven’t had time to take my photos yet! :D I will get them to you by tomorrow, though. I’m very excited! :D

Ywea October 8, 2011 at 05:34

Looking forward to see everyone’s skirts :)

Couture Allure October 8, 2011 at 06:10

Fabulous tutorial roundup Casey! I posted to my FB and Twitter feeds!

Casey October 8, 2011 at 08:43

Thank you ever so much! :)

♥ Casey

Giulia October 8, 2011 at 06:12

Very useful! I think I’ll try and make my own petticoat :)

Join my giveaway♥